Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lofty goals

Has it only been two and a half weeks?! It feels like we've been home longer than that. Maybe because in those 19 days I turned our house upside down in order to get it ready for Sawyer's blessing last Sunday. Towards the end of the week, I started panicking because we seemed to get behind and distracted by Mr. Sawyer and the house was still a wreck. I gave Taylor a list of everything that had to be done as well as a time-frame. He looked at the list, and looked at me and said, "Now, let's not set any lofty goals."



We had to burn the midnight oil Saturday night, but we got everything done. And the blessing was a success. Lofty goals my bum.



Admittedly, the house had most of my attention at first, while working on Sawyer's development took a backseat. Now that everything is in order, I am determined to have Sawyer accomplish these things by the end of summer:
1. establish a strong suck on the bottle
2. sit up alone with just a boppy (he's close)
3. take full spoon fulls of baby food without it oozing out the sides of his mouth
4. (loftiest goal) get rid of his g-tube




We went back to Primary's today for a follow-up appointment with Dr. Downey. After rushing around this morning to get there by 11:00 am, turns out the appointment was actually next Tuesday. He was kind to squeeze me in today (thank you!!!). Sawyer passed the "eyeball" test. He is progressing well overall, and Dr. Downey is anxious to get him going with sippy cups and baby food.



I think the car ride and not getting any sleep last night (our street is the place to be when lighting off loud fireworks) knocked Sawyer off his game. I got his food going and bounced him on my lap, but he was not having it. I contemplated stopping by the NICU anyways, but I was hot and sweaty from hoisting him from one position to the next, and he really needed the zzz's. So I reluctantly headed back to the car. He slept all the way to Tremonton, and woke up screaming. I pulled over to the Hospital right off the freeway, and we sat on the grass for 20 minutes watching cars go by. Got back in the car after he calmed down, and he screamed from Tremonton to Malad. Needless to say, he is currently conked out, and here I am finally blogging. That's the last time I travel alone with an infant.



I must say, it felt good to be in Salt Lake today, even if it was for only a few hours. Knowing Salt Lake and Primary's like the back of my hand makes coming back with a stroller, pump, and huge Mary Poppins diaper bag a lot more do-able. I drove down South Temple and admired the landscaped yards that are starting to come into fruition. After spending winter months there, seeing all the colors really made me appreciate the historic buildings and neighborhoods that I zoomed past a million times and never noticed. There will always be a place in my heart for the University campus, Capitol, and Temple Square, all of which I could usually see driving back and forth from the hospital to the complex that I called my temporary home.



I better stop reminiscing. I'm starting to get homesick.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all of these adorable pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been so curious how things are going!!! Audrey's esophagram is today, and we did switch to Dr Downey, in case you hadn't had a chance to see our updates.... so, you haven't said how you are feeding him now. Is he taking the bottle a little bit, then the rest G-tube? Are you trying breastfeeding? Were you up in the pump room yesterday??? I was there a lot too, LOL I bet we passed each other and didn't know. Miss you guys too, think about you every day. So many questions. I'll try to call today during one of Audrey's naps.

    ReplyDelete