Saturday, June 18, 2011

the first 48 hours

After I finally went to bed Thursday night, I was back up within the hour to start his 12:00 am feed. Every noise he made warranted a jolt from bed to make sure he wasn't choking on his secretions. He slept the entire night and Taylor and I slept for maybe three or four hours, maybe. The next morning he was all smiles. My eyes felt like they were burning into my skull, but sleep was the last thing on my list of priorities.

We made our follow-up appointment in good time. Dr. McInturff is great. I felt like we were on the same page, as though he had been at Primary's with us and knew our story. He gave us the go-ahead to alter his feedings so that he can go for a 6 hour stretch during the night so Taylor and I can sleep. We tried it last night and it worked like a charm.

Taylor's sister and brother-in-law brought over dinner, cookies, and baby clothes. Later Taylor's mom visited as well. And I did the unthinkable and went to see my nieces and sister in the production Annie without a baby in tow. Taylor convinced me that they would be fine without me. Glad I went, more so knowing that he slept the entire time. I rushed home to a sleeping baby, so I succumbed to the exhaustion and crashed. We all slept through the night and started over at 6:00 am to a smiling, happy baby patiently waiting to be fed.

That's not to say he doesn't throw fits. Cuz he does. It definitely takes an army of two to get his pump set up, meds measured and administered, binkie held in his mouth, and milk measured and warmed up every three hours. We figured out a system real fast. Our dogs just stare as we do our awkward tango in the corner of Sawyer's room all day long.

So next on our agenda is to get another weight this coming Friday, a week from his appointment, to see if he is losing, gaining, or maintaining. I haven't made any arrangements with the speech therapist yet, but will this coming week. And still need to call surgery to see if they need to check his g-tube or if that can be done here. But for tomorrow, we are just going to relax and celebrate our fathers and eat chocolate and drink diet coke. (Milk supply is amazing, just sayin').  

1 comment:

  1. Although I miss you all, I am so happy that you guys are able to begin a whole new adventure as your very own little family. Thank you so much for the updates. It is so fun to hear even the littlest details. Please keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete